How to Apply
What we are looking for
- A minimum of one week’s experience in a secondary/primary school is essential. Applicants are expected to complete a pre-application task and details are available on the Parmiter’s School website.
- Applicants without this experience are advised not to apply until the week in school is completed.
- A high quality personal statement is essential as this will demonstrate your potential to teach and your command of the English language.
- Applicants will need to demonstrate an understanding of educational issues and have an awareness of what makes teaching effective. The ability to enthuse and motivate pupils is also essential.
- Please note that the School Direct (Salaried) programme is aimed at career changers and it is expected that applicants will have three years’ experience in a career/valid work.
In order to apply for a School Direct place you need to have:
- A UK undergraduate degree (2.2 or higher) or a recognised equivalent qualification
- A GCSE grade C or above in English and Mathematics. One GCSE in English is acceptable. IELTS with a pass mark of 6.5 is equivalent to Grade C English.
- You will need to pass your literacy and numeracy professional skills tests before you can commence training. You can do these at any point, even before you start applying. The first attempt at each skill test is free of charge. You may have two further attempts but will have to pay for these. After three unsuccessful attempts you would have to wait two years before retrying: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/skills-tests
Applications for a September 2019 start will be managed through UCAS Teacher Training. You will be able to make three choices with no restrictions as to route or age category. We must make a decision regarding your application within 40 working days and you will have a further 10 days to respond to any offer made. Only full-time training applications will be considered. If you studied outside the UK you need to contact National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to find out whether your qualifications are equivalent to the required UK qualifications.
The selection day will be held in one of the Herts & Bucks TSA schools. This will include:
- Scrutiny of the application form. Please see above for the requirements
- A taught lesson. Information would be given to you two / three days before the interview day
- A discussion with a subject specialist regarding your current subject knowledge
- A general writing task on an educational issue to assess literacy and general communication
- An interview with a panel
You will be asked to supply two references.